Hay Festival

Neil Gaiman And Stephen Fry


I have never been to the Hay Festival before. I see adverts for it and hear about the appearances but it's three and a half hours from home so it took something special to get me there. 

Neil Gaiman and Stephen Fry

When I saw there would be an audience with Neil Gaiman and Stephen Fry I knew I had to go. I have never fawned over actors or models, give me an interesting mind any day, a writer, an artist, a musician, a scientist some one who thinks beautifully. Then I am jelly. I turn into a teenage fan girl, I have now seen/met several of my favourite minds but Neil Gaiman remained top of my wish list. 

From the moment I found his work I was enchanted, I would never return to be the person I was before I read American Gods. A book recommended by a friend. I sat down to begin and the next thing I knew it was the end of the book. I didn't move for roughly 8 hours, I completely ignored my partner, I was lost in the world of Shadow. 

I then worked my way through everything by Neil that I could get my hands on.  Luck and good bargain hunting skills brought me to Violent Cases. A graphic novel, not something I would usually pick up but I was more than willing to give it a go. There I found a meeting of minds so perfect, bringing together words and art in ways I had never imagined. I was sold on graphic novels and also Dave McKean. 

I moved my way through many pieces by the two of them, graphic novels and even film. I added them both to my must meet list and a few years ago I met Dave McKean and he not only signed but hand illustrated my copy of Violent Cases. It became my most cherished book, but it felt incomplete without Neil Gaiman's signature. 

So the day came and I packed up my book and my camera, extremely hopeful as I had heard Neil didn't do signings anymore and we headed to Wales, super early and super excitable. We spent the day in the village of Hay on Wye, known for its book shops which did not disappoint (I may do a separate post about the town).  

Then we headed into the Hay Festival, it was amazing like a little town of tents and fake grass, strange and surreal with bookshops and an array of exciting looking food stalls. We joined the queue for the event an hour and a half before it began. It was super civilised, people sitting reading and sipping coffee, totally different from any other festival I have been to, everyone was polite but you could feel the excitement. 

I bounced down the aisle and took a seat. Someone came out and did introductions. They announced that Chris Riddell was joining the performance and would be live sketching. Things just kept getting better.
Chris Riddell

Chris Riddell is a brilliant artist and it was a pleasure to see his images projected as he created the things that were being discussed and the people discussing them. The sketches were hilarious added so much to the stories and discussions. It was also lovely to see Neil and Stephen unsure of what was behind them as the audience would burst out laughing, taking a look and not being able to stop themselves from joining in the laughter.

Neil and Stephen By Chris Riddell

They discussed myths and legends, as Neil has recently released Norse Mythology and obviously has a keen interest in the old gods and Stephen Fry is currently writing a book about Greek myths. It was wonderful to hear Neil read a tale from the book and talk about the gods. His way with words making them come alive and it feel completely unbelievable that these stories were so old. 

Neil and Stephen Laughing At Freya's Gastric Problem

I enjoyed hearing them talk with such passion about the best ways to tell the stories, their love of myth and the characters. Stephen Fry read a piece from his upcoming book, it was about Midas and it was hilarious and tragic as all good myths should be. 

Stephen Fry at The Hay Festival

They took questions from the audience and Chris tried his best to answer with no microphone, much to everyone'e amusement. 

Chris Riddell not really feeling like a god

Unsurprisingly being in Wales Neil was asked if he would think of writing a book on Welsh Mythology and he hinted at some other projects he would have to complete first but said if he was going to write more on myths welsh would definitely be a possibility, this makes me very happy as an avid lover of Celtic myths. 

Welsh Myths by Neil Gaiman illustrated by Chris Riddell?

It appeared things were drawing to a close, it had been an utter pleasure but then how could it not be with these two gentlemen. They could have discussed anything and it would be a joy to listen to. Then an extra surprise was announced, Amanda Palmer was going to come on and read a poem Neil had written for her. 

Amanda Palmer At The Hay Festival

Her reading was spectacular as was the poem. It was about cave women being scientists. It was obvious how much she loved the poem. It was an amazing surprise ending to the event, watching her appear on the screen as a Chris Riddell sketch made it all the more special. 

Amanda, Neil and Stephen, Sketch Amanda by Chris

They left the stage and we were told were to go for book signings. We joined the queue and after about an hour, as if the evening hadn't been spectacular enough Patrick Q Wright came and said he was going to make Amanda come and entertain us. 
Amanda Palmer, Patrick Q Wright and Edward Ka-Spel

The two of them did an improvised violin and ukulele piece and then took a request so played the Ukulele Anthem in the middle  of the queuing crowd. It was a wonderful incredibly intimate performance and completely unexpected. 

Amanda Palmer and Patrick Q Wright

After queuing for three and a half hours I finally met Neil Gaiman, who was charming and polite even though he had been signing for hours and I am sure his hand was about to fall off. 

Me and Neil Gaiman

I am so glad that we went to the Hay Festival and I got so much from the experience, especially with all the extra surprises along the way. I will definitely be looking out for what's on next year and yes I finally did get Violent Cases signed. 

Original art by Dave McKean and Signature by Neil Gaiman





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Hell Of A Tuesday

Murder By Gaslight