Belper Arts Festival

Oscar Wilde

We arrived in Belper for the Arts festival, super excited for some Oscar Wilde. I love Wilde, he is definitely on my list for when I time travel. I have read everything I can find by him, many times and plenty about him. 


But as he said “Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.” 

So I thought I had best get on with experiencing some Wilde. We arrived at No.28 Cafe to find there was a time change, a few minor difficulties and the reading wasn't going to be for an hour. We had a chat with a lovely man who was organising the events and he recommended seeing the Mill which I am sure would have been delightful but "The only good thing to do with good advice is to pass it on; it is never of any use to oneself." So we headed into town. 

Number 28 Cafe photo by me

When we came back the room was laid out with flowers on the tables, simple but inviting. We found ourselves a table right at the front and settled down for the reading of The Ballad Of Reading Gaol.  Looking around there were some very interesting art pieces, my favourite was definitely the angel above us. 

Angel in No.28 Cafe 
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

The reading was powerful. It's a spectacular piece but one that is neither easy on the reader or the listener. It was written while Wilde was in exile about what he had seen in Victorian Prison, its realistic and incredibly gritty. A thoroughly engaging reading, it left me emotional and was definitely something that needed to be experienced in person. I find hearing someone reading a poem gives a whole new life from the one it had when I read it myself. 

"And all men kill the thing they love"
Reading of The Ballad Of Reading Gaol

This reading left me with a sense of how truly awful it must have been to be living in exile after seeing so much. Although it seems he still had enough love left for the world to try and change it with his words. “It takes great deal of courage to see the world in all its tainted glory, and still to love it.” 

It was truly a beautiful reading. A huge thanks to the reader who I believe to have been George Gunby.

The afternoon was a far happier affair, it was time for Tea With Oscar Wilde presented by Don't Go Into The Cellar. 

"Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken"
Oscar Wilde

As I have said if I could time travel I would definitely Meet Oscar Wilde so this piece is perfect for me. I must confess I am a huge fan of this theatre company and I had seen this performance previously. That did not make it any less spectacular. It wasn't exactly the same which was delightful. 

From the moment he took the stage you knew it was Wilde, there was no doubt in my mind, I never even questioned that this man was a performer for the next two hours he was Oscar. I was enthralled. The level of charisma was perfect, the wonderful attitude of slight mockery about the world at large but a friendliness that still made you like him. A well written and well acted balance. Fitting the part so well I couldn't quite tell if the audience should be offended but I knew that they weren't, because who could resist that charm. 

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.”


You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
The beautiful Marie Lloyd and Oscar Wilde

Soon he was joined by the marvellous Marie Lloyd, her singing felt so authentically Victorian showgirl, it was far too difficult not to join in but she encouraged sing along's so that worked out fabulously. Her facial expressions were wonderful she managed to say so much even when no words were coming out of her mouth. I quickly adored her. 

How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being”
Marie Lloyd 

Obviously I don't want to give too much away but the Oscar and Marie's interactions were perfect. They worked together so well. It was truly a joy to watch. Sometimes seeming to admire each other and then seeming to view each other and the audience with a slight disdain. Passionate and full of expression the whole way through, not breaking from character for even a second.

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they’ll kill you.”
That Look

The audience participation was hilarious but I shall tell you nothing about it. During the performance I found myself laughing, crying, singing along and by the end I really did feel like I had spent a couple of hours time travelling and met some more than interesting characters. 

Of course for Tea with Oscar Wilde tea was provided which I avoided choosing the coffee, which was actually rather delightful. A selection of cakes were also served and very nice they were too. The atmosphere was relaxed and everyone involved was very friendly. 

I had a truly glorious day seeing two entirely different sides to Oscar Wilde, The pieces were so well chosen and contrasted perfectly. I will definitely be keeping an eye on The Belper Arts Festival for next year and I will be continuing to follow Don't Go Into The Cellar, I am seeing another of their performances tonight in fact. 

Until next time remember 
Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.”
Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Hell Of A Tuesday

Hay Festival

Murder By Gaslight