Perilous Tales At The Greater Manchester Fringe

Perilous Tales

BY Luna C


I wasn't sure at all what this show was having only read the title, so I was really surprised to find it was actually three plays from three different writers each 30 minutes long. All three plays managed to pack so much into just 30 minutes that I am going to have to review them all separately. 

Extant 1918 By Cliff Heaton


An astounding tale about the horrors of war, mental health and relationships. This is one of the most touching and emotional things I have ever seen in a theatre. In 30 minutes I somehow felt that I knew the main characters really well. I knew about their lives and their secrets, I felt their joys and sorrows. 


The range of emotions displayed in such a short time was incredible, we watched as they discussed the war, we heard tales of things no one should ever have seen and we saw so much love through all of it. 


We watched guilt, anger and despair destroy a man. The insight into how it must have felt to be there was so powerful. I can not praise this play highly enough. It tugged on the heart from the moment it started right until the curtains closed. 

Captive By Andrew Hudson



A vulnerable woman's past comes back to haunt her in this gripping play with a surprise that I won't ruin. Watching as the story of how she knows these two scary and dangerous men unfolds. 


The characters were gripping and complex, which is impressive in 30 minutes. The writing and the acting really drawing the audience in. The feeling of dread building with the woman's panic and the intensity of the other characters made this a play that kept me on the edge of my seat.


The final moments were shocking, so very well done and just brilliantly written, not what I was expecting at all. I would never give the ending away so I recommend you go and see it to find out what happens. 

Chess For Princes, Not For Kings By Dominic Merrick


A tale of Princes, battles, treachery and chess. A simple setting with powerful characters making it still very encompassing. The atmosphere was thick with distrust and disdain, it was clear from the start that these princes would never be friends.


As they played their games, with very high stakes you could see each ones plans coming to light and their opinions on each other becoming clear. The characters were all so strong but in very different ways. 

These games were unlikely to end well and they didn't they ended with betrayal, but not in the way that I had thought they would. The performance was superb, tense and witty.

All three plays were really quite wonderful, all so different but full of emotions, surprises, great characters and fantastic dramatic climaxes. I honestly would encourage anyone to go and see them. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more things by Luna C. 

One of my favourite fringe events yet. 









Comments

  1. Definitely my favorite fringe event this year so far.... great review :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Hell Of A Tuesday

Hay Festival

Murder By Gaslight