Sonderfest Analogue Trash Takeover

This Was Going To Be A Blog About One Thing But Turned Into Something Else



A Fantastic Gig And Women On Stage


I will start by saying the Analogue Trash stage at Sonderfest definitely didn't disappoint. The line up was well put together, the bands were incredible and the atmosphere was electric. The crowd loved every second and it looked like the bands did too.



Room 1985 are new to the Trash Family and I am eagerly awaiting there album release. They are a little different from most of the bands I see through trash, not quite as heavily electro and a little more psychedelic rock, they were definitely a nice start to the evening, buckets of stage presence, beautiful music and a fantastic singer. 


Then they were joined on stage by the first spectacular woman of the evening. A singer with heaps of emotion, attitude, passion and of course vocal talent. She absolutely stole the stage. 


Next up were St Lucifer. Four amazing guys with an interesting array of styles that if I hadn't seen perform I would swear couldn't work but it's strange and wonderful and yep it works. They are compelling, dynamic and catchy, one of their songs stuck in my head for days after. They were joined on stage by Charlotte of Syd.31.
Again the stage was stolen by a woman. She had so much stage presence while making the incredibly skilled guitar playing seem effortless fun. 

I realised at this point how rare this night was, there were strong, talented and amazing women performing with every band on the stage. I don't think I have ever seen that before unless that's what the night was advertised as. I spent many years following strong female musicians and even still they probably account for 10 percent of musicians I have seen live. I can't imagine how low that figure would be if I hadn't been looking. 



Then came Ded.Pixel. I have seen them go from a solo act to a duo and now as a three piece they are better than ever. I have been following them live for about 3 years and this was by far the best performance, they have definitely hit on something special with the line up. They provide everything from subtle beauty to screaming down a megaphone. My personal favourite band of the evening. 



The base lines are stunning and perfectly executed by the fantastic Ashleigh. A performer I absolutely love to watch partly due to her talent and partly because it's so very obvious how much she loves music. 


Following Ded.Pixel was Def Neon. You will have heard me mention them before as I am loving their new album so much. It's a favourite for the year. They always provide an amazing performance and this night was no different. They sit somewhere on the borders of indie and electro which makes them a great hit with many crowds. They are innovative and musically perfect. 


The singer Emily is one of the most powerful women in music for me at the moment. She is apologetically feminist and angry whilst managing happy and covered in pink make up.  It's impossible to not listen to her while she sings about the state of the world and chocolate and lemonade. She is unbending to anyone's stereotype of what she should be as a female singer and I am super in awe every time she hits the stage. She is an incredible bass player, bouncy as hell and perfect in my book. 


Lastly came Syd.31 who are always a good end to a show. They merge so many types of music I'm not sure if I can keep up but it works. They give the audience something to dance to as well as something to think about with their fast beats and well thought out political lyrics. I have to be honest I have a slight bias when it comes to this band as well that is my husband up there (on the right). They are always fun to watch though, I have been watching them since before I met Dani and I'm not bored yet. It's always nice to see who will join them on the stage for the final song, this time it was Rhys from Ded.Pixel. 



There is a huge amount of personality up on the stage with Syd.31 including guitar legend Charlotte and drumming chaos provided by Kara Wolf. These are some epic rock women with attitude and talent. Charlotte astounds crowds with her playing especially when it's done with here feet and Kara plays with so much energy that even though she was at the back of the stage it could never be said that she was hiding in the background. Having seen the band many times before these two amazing women came on board I have to say they add so much to the sound, atmosphere and presence on stage. 

Analogue Trash seem to have accidentally provided exactly what I had been looking for in gigs for years. Women who were there because they were good, not picked because they looked pretty stood in the background, although all of them looked damn good it just wasn't their main purpose. They were there to rock and they did. Every single woman on that stage owned it. They all had so much energy and confidence it was a true pleasure to be a part of this night. 

Who would have thought that one of the most empowering and feminist evenings I have been to in a long time would have been provided by a local record label taking over a stage at a festival for one night. I wonder if they realise what they did.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Hell Of A Tuesday

Hay Festival

Murder By Gaslight