IDAHOBIT

International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia

Yesterday was IDAHOBIT, previously IDAHO with Transphobia being added in 2009 and biphobia added in 2015. I have been to several IDAHOBIT events but none touched me so much as yesterday's, the theme for it at was family. 

A little background, I am Pan/bisexual and gender neutral if I have to label. I am super lucky though. I regularly get crap from people nowadays mainly for my gender but when I was younger it was for liking girls. Crap at school, college, jobs, in the street, anywhere there were people I didn't know well. I have had lesbians hate me because I don't just date women and straight guys who think I'm tainted because I have dated men who have been with other men. My experience of homophobia, biphobia and transphobia has been sometimes violent but luckily not often, possibly more luckily I punch well and it's definitely impacted my life. 

I am still lucky though, I was born into a wonderful family I have never been made to feel less because of who I date, they struggle with my gender but I am safe with them. I have no idea how awful it must be to be disowned by family for loving or being who you are. I listened to stories yesterday of people completely dislodged from their homes and their families, refugees whose lives were in danger because of their sexuality and gender. I can not even begin to understand that heartbreak or loneliness. 

The speech given by Prossy Kakooza was truly gut wrenching for me, she talked of moving here and losing her relationship with her mother. I don't think I would ever be ok without my mum, we are incredibly close. Prossy Kakooza is the co-founder of the UK Lesbian and Gay Immigration Group. I didn't even know this group existed but I will definitely be looking into what they do and what they need. 
Prossy Kakooza

The event was wonderful, it wasn't nearly as big as I feel it should have been so I am going to encourage a lot more people to go next year. There were so many young people performing, which was amazing to see, the poems from Manchester's Youth Poetry Collective, Young Identity were full of emotion, Liam Caly's music was fun and meaningful, and Sketch and Hannah's songs were spectacular, they had everyone clapping and swaying.  

Dick Slick- Drag King

The host Belinda Scandal was dazzling and Dick Slick was fabulous as is to be expected. The LGBT Foundation speech was moving as was the speech by the ex Lord Mayor of Manchester, Carl Austin-Behan.

Carl Austin-Behan

The event ended in the most wonderful way. Near the beginning they had handed out whistles and party blowers which we had been happily blowing and cheering away throughout the event. Now it was time for their real purpose a minute of noise against LGBT hate crime. I sign that we would not be silent, we would stand together and we will be heard. It was one of the loudest most chaotic minutes I have ever been a part of and it was glorious. There was drumming, whistling, cheering, screaming, shouting, clapping, feet stomping and noises that I am not even sure of the origin. 

Thank you so much to everyone involved in putting on this event, it was momentous. 











  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Hell Of A Tuesday

Hay Festival

Murder By Gaslight