Murder By Gaslight

Murder By Gaslight at Salford Museum and Art Gallery
A Review


I know it's only two days since my last Don't go into the Cellar theatre company review but they were in a local Gallery that I love so how could I resist and indeed who would want to try. 

The setting for this piece was perfect Victorian theatre in the Victorian room at Salford Museum and Gallery, what more could I ask for. It made for some spectacular imagery. I must add this Gallery is well worth a visit I love this room and the Victorian street is a delight. This is a museum well suited to children and adults alike.  

So onto the theatricals. We entered the room and the first thing I noticed was the small but wonderfully detailed set. Every part so well thought out, the medical bag over flowing with papers recalling the details of the dreadful Dr's and the many bottles of poison, definitely made an impact before anyone had even taken to the stage. 

Wonderful set design

First we met Dr Palmer an interesting and enthralling man with a rather large personality and an imposing nature. 

Dr Palmer

Dr Palmer regaled us with details of his life and medical career. He told us of his predicament and how he had ended up here. He was a pleasure to watch although not necessarily what I would call charming. He shared with us wonderful tales of a rather macabre nature. This sinister character made me laugh and jump in my seat, a wonderful performance. 

Dr Palmer a rather unsavoury character

After the interval we were greeted by Dr Crippen, a meek and nervous man, far quieter than the earlier Dr. He told us of his life and his innocence. He told us of  his home and his wife. He recalled her singing which we were lucky (unlucky?) enough to witness. She gave us a wonderful(?) rendition of a song I happen to love.

Bella Elmore

He went on to tell us about another women in his life and how very different she was to his wife, which was pretty amazing as they were played by the same women. None the less when she came out and sang for us I was totally convinced of the difference in character. She sang a beautiful song so different from the first. He also shared how he came to be in this terrible predicament and I listened along completely fascinated by his tale.

Ethel Leneve

Having seen a few pieces by this theatre company I have to say this is one of my favourites, it doesn't beat my dear Oscar Wilde but it's a close second. The actors did a fabulous job each portraying two totally different characters perfectly. They all held my attention so well. The soundtrack of noises and music added to the atmosphere immensely. I would thoroughly recommend this play to all lovers of the macabre and dark tales, it was horrifically charming and encapsulated everything I love about tales of murder and betrayal.    

Dr Crippen


Comments

  1. Hi! I watched a performance of this play at the Guildhall in Leicester, on 12th May. The setting, I thought, was perfect, and like you I was kept spellbound for the entire 2 hours. The versatility of the 2 actors was amazing, as you say switching between roles effortlessly and convincingly. I only took 1 photo, which I might post on lynneaboutloughborough when I get a chance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Hell Of A Tuesday

Hay Festival